8/31/14

The highs and the lows

Triathlon is a challenging sport. Combining swimming, cycling, running plus transitions is one of the reasons I love it so much. Then throw in other factors such as nutrition, strength & conditioning, mental toughness and there's a lot to keep track of. I think this is one of the reasons it is so satisfying to make it to the finish line. Every competitor in every event has been on a journey to get to the start line and to cross the finish line. I've been in 2 triathlons this summer and my journey has been different to that of the many triathlons I have been in before. It's the fist time I haven't been part of my swim squad, the first time I haven't had a training program to follow. I've been training with our guests at tri4thealps, sometimes sneaking in a quick session on my own here and there too. The races have both been fun. The sprint individual time trial at Machilly and then the Olympic distance race at Passy. They were both hard but I enjoyed the challenge. Unfortunately there won't be any more tris for me this summer. I fell on some stairs the other day and have sprained my ankle. I'm doing everything I can for a speedy recovery but racing again will have to wait to next summer now. That's the highs and the lows of sport.

 
Above: Post Race interview at Passy then coaching from the blocks with my foot in a brace!