8/6/09



I was happy with my performance at Calgary on the weekend. The lake swim was a little cool but I managed to get onto the back of the main pack of guys which also included the top girls so I exited the water with the leaders. The bike was a point to point course through the Calgary countryside finishing at a park/reserve. After a good ride at Vineman a couple of weeks ago I had a lot of confidence knowing that I could ride hard. I passed a few girls in the first section of the course and settled into 4th place. I went onto the run in 4th although a couple of strong runners passed me in the first few kilometers which moved be to 6th place. I ran hard early and went through patches of feeling good, and not so good, throughout the 21kms. After climbing the last hill with 4km to go my legs were feeling pretty dead. I pushed on running as hard as my tired legs would carry me to the cross the finish line in 6th.

A huge thanks to my home-stay hosts Carla and David who showed me around and looked after me so well - good luck for Ironman Canada guys!!