5/6/11

Race Report

I went into Ironman Australia feeling relaxed and confident in my ability to swim, bike and run well.

The swim was great. I felt good in the water and was able to stick with the lead group of guys to come out of the water as first female in a bit over 49 minutes.
Onto the bike and wow, what a head wind! I was mindful not to go too hard as in past races I have really felt the pinch in the last 80km. Caroline Steffen came flying past about 10km in and I had no choice but to watch her go up the road. I stuck to my plan, ticked off the kms and shovelled the GUs in. the second lap seemed to pass by much quicker than the first and before I knew it I had finished the 180kms in 5hrs23, above my target time but considering the conditions I was happy.
Starting the run was a strange feeling. I felt quite stiff but my pace was under target. I tried to slow back to my target time and relax into it. A few kms in and I was feeling ok. Again, focused on keeping well fuelled and holding my form, I ticked off the kms. With 4km to go I was still comfortably in second place and gave it all I had left to clock a 3hr22 marathon. My family were in the finish chute and I happily high fived them before celebrating across the line in 9hours38mins25sec.
It was so fun to be able to share this moment with them!

Thank you so much to my fantastic sponsors - CBD Cycles, Fairbrother, Total Performance Sports, Brooks, 2XU, Engine, GU and Ryders - I could not have done it with out you.